Monday, April 27, 2009

Atheist's nightmare

Sorry did I wake you?
Oh! It’s you, but you’re……the accident,
Dead, yes I know, I’m sorry.
Sorry, what for?
That I won’t be around to look after you any more.
I hear you but I can’t see you properly.
I know, it’s just the way it is there,
I’m neither one thing nor the other for the minute,
everything is white, no shade, no form,
a sort of filled-in outline with no features.
Is it heaven then or the other place?
I don’t know yet, I haven’t been allowed inside,
it’s the system,
I just have time to make things right here,
Before I go, so to speak.
Can I touch you one last time then?
Well, only in the way that you can touch a light shower say,
or feel a breath on your neck.
How long can you stay for? Long?
No not really, only long enough to say
I love you, but you knew that,
more importantly
never forget me.
I’m sorry I’ve got to go
time’s up the bell is ringing.



Are you OK?
Yes of course, why?
You were ranting rarely last night,
and you slept right up to the alarm.
You kept saying I love you, I love you
and never to forget.
I hope you were dreaming about me

©Graham Sherwood 2009

No comments: