Friday, September 16, 2016

Road Trip


I’m going to take that road trip that I’ve dreamt of for so long,
search for myself and who knows what else might come along.

I’ll buy a bashed up Chevrolet, perhaps a vintage Oldsmobile
she’ll share the trip and keep me dry; I’ll call her “Sweet Lucille”.

There’ll be cool music on the radio, from lots of FM jocks
I’ll sing out loud, windows down, breeze blowing through my locks

You see I’ve also grown long hair, a nose ring and some tats
and one of those little goatee beards, perhaps a mite ersatz

First stop will be the desert, massive skies and cowboy rocks
meet the girl from Vanishing Point, wearing nothing but her socks

I’ll find some hippies, drop some tabs, pick fights in remote bars
drink thin beer, write great words and shout out to the stars

My clothes will smell but what the hell, no one will give a fuck
out on the Mesa, solitude, just me and my beloved truck

I’ll find what I think I’m looking for, nature’s hostile terrain
but if I miss the landmarks, I can always come again

You see it’s all about discovery, true reality, a test
Nature and the elements, a search to find what’s best

I know I’ll return a better man, at peace, calm, full of Zen 
Perhaps I’ll save up, chuck my job and do it again

But can I offer warnings, to others yearning for the road
to find themselves a Shangri-la, become no fixed abode

Don’t listen to your inner-self where common sense is sparse
Be like me, a pipe-dreamer, who stayed sat here on his arse


© Graham Sherwood 09/2016

No comments: