Thursday, February 09, 2017

Migrant

I left without a second thought
it was time to go, eighteen and in love
the ties snapped easily, no backward glances
no goodbyes, handshakes, kisses
we didn’t do things like that then.
“Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
your old road is rapidly aging”.

Near fifty years on
I’ve returned discreetly, stealthily, unrecognised
treading on familiar places, an archaeologist
in search of young faces from the past
I know I will not find.
“The changing of sunlight to moonlight, reflections of my life
oh how they fill my eyes”.

But I must still walk these ancient lanes
search out the indelible aromas
of my childhood, that have lingered, trapped
within the mortared walls, the bark of trees
at verges, in gutters, down drains.
“Ah, but I may as well try and catch the wind”

Latent life forces have drawn me back
to demand this duel, unfinished business,
paraffin, fresh bread, newsprint, coal sacks
chip paper, leather, cobwebs, Brylcreem,
corned beef, bleach, Double Diamond.
“Dance trees and a winter bird, fly home, we're here again, here again”.

I must be wary of becoming inebriated, light-headed
as curious locals cast worried glances,
a stranger! here? lost! hurry without checking their stride,
they see a splinter festering that will soon be gone
not knowing I will be compelled to return.
“And if a time comes when I'm feeling better I'll be back like the birds in the Spring”.



© Graham Sherwood 02/2017
(lyrics credited to Bob Dylan, The Hollies, Donovan, Blue Aeroplanes Kate and Anna McGarrigle)

No comments: