Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Gig

That’s it, it’s over,
your first gig,
and no-one can put the genie
back in the bottle now.
There will be no more arguments
about being all grown up,
no fractious rows about,
how responsible you are
and how you really
can look after yourself.
It was only the half-smile and
“give her a break” look
from your mother
that melted my indignant resolve
sadly it will haunt her forever.
So I reluctantly said yes!
and foolishly added the haughty caviat
“but make sure you
come out early before the crush”
a defeated dad’s demand
that will haunt me for eternity too.
The only thing that may
keep me sane,
keep me strong for your mum’s sake
was the serene look of pleasure
on your beautiful face
as you hurried down the steps
caught my eye and waved jubilantly,
before your words suffocated
behind the flash.

© Graham Sherwood 22/05/2017

No comments: