Monday, March 05, 2018

Next Door

Depending on the direction
of the wind,
usually a north-westerly,
a sickly-sweet aroma
of Weetabix would hang on the breeze,
dense and catching in my throat.
Never a favourite of mine
even less so
when our neighbour’s daughter
sporting a year-round candle,
dripping from her nose
succeeded in getting a job there,
putting me off for life.
Ironically, her father, later in life
was hit by a bus
tumbling over whilst recklessly
plucking cigarette dog-ends
from the gutter
near the bus shelter.
As children we would watch him
unfailingly press Button B
each time he passed the phone box
in the hope that some hasty
distracted user had left
four pennies unrecovered.
My sister sliced between two fingers
of my right hand
instead of the cottage loaf
she was holding,
I, first to the knife
unwisely picking it up by the blade.
With me bleeding profusely
we rushed next door for help,
our neighbour promptly fainted
at the sight of my near dismembered finger.
I cannot look at a packet of Weetabix today
without seeing his daughter’s snotty kisser
and his own crumpled body
slumped against the bus shelter
near our garden gate,
no blood.


© Graham Sherwood 03/2018

No comments: